My little family!

My little family!

Friday, September 12, 2014

Big Girl Bed. Potty Trained.

Howdy y'all!

Here we are. One week since school has began. I'm currently sitting in my basement WITHOUT CHILDREN. As in, both of my little babies are at school and I'm sitting in my own house alone. This is a very strange & wonderful & sad & exciting time. Every Monday, Wednesday & Friday my babies are at school learning and thriving (or crying and crying and crying = Benny) while I am home organizing, running errands and doing things I never thought possible (eating lunch in silence!). It's been really nice to recharge my batteries but hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be getting back into the working world (at least part-time). I'm waiting to hear about some opportunities and it would be nice to make some money so that we can move within this next year.

SO I've been wanting to write about a few things going on lately in our world. I'm not an expert (um, far from) in this parenting world. Sometimes I can't form a sentence without breaking into the ugly cry because I feel like I'm failing as a mother. But sometimes? Sometimes I feel like a freaking QUEEN - like I'm actually raising two responsible, kind, respectful, and loving little humans that will make a positive impact on this world.

# 1 - Transitioning from crib to big girl bed:

I don't know about all of you -- but I was terrified of letting go of the crib. Layla really, really loved her little crib and I loved her in it. She was contained, happy and sleeping (95% of the time) like a perfect little pumpkin. Back in the spring, Layla went through a severe sleeping rough patch. She had a tough time falling asleep and staying asleep. This lasted about a week and it was awful. After asking several mommy/daddy friends, several people suggested maybe she was out growing her crib and going to bed too early. I decided to move her bedtime back 1 hour (from 6:30 to 7:30) and I ordered a (cheap) full sized mattress from amazon. I also ordered her some adorable Little Mermaid bedding and set up her big girl bed while keeping her crib. SO..for months, Layla used her big girl mattress on the floor for nothing more then jumping and playing. She continued to sleep happily in her crib. I would periodically ask her if she wanted to sleep in her bed and she always said no. Then one day, she asked if she could nap in her bed. Josh & I laughed thinking this would never work (she had been napping in our bed as a special treat for a while) -- but on this random Saturday, surrounded by all of her "guys", she slept. And slept hard - like the kind of nap that I wake her up because it's been 2+ hours. SUCCESS!! We later decide it's finally time to get the actual big girl bed - so off to Ikea we went! We chose a platform, low-to-the-ground bed that goes perfectly with her room. And then she asked to sleep in it at night. So we let her - and she did perfectly. Like a little professional, she slept soundly and happily. The next day, Josh took her crib apart and since then? She's been sleeping in her big girl bed. The first couple of weeks, she opted to sleep on her floor rather then her bed (I think it was more comforting? She did ask to sleep in our bed a few nights but we never caved - I always gave her the option of her bed or floor. Eventually, she always chose the bed and now she loves it. We've adjusted her bedtime routine to make sure she's happy and comfortable. One time, she's come out of her room in the middle of the night (I found her crying in the hallway, clearly confused and possible sleep-walking) but otherwise she's been perfect. I think my favorite part? We are continuing to use our Onaroo OK to Wake Children's Alarm Clock and Nightlight -- a friend recommend this to us when Layla was waking up early back in the Spring. It's a little adorable light and can be set like an alarm clock - we set ours for 6:30 AM. At this time, the light turns a bright green. Layla now knows that she can't get up until the light is green - so when she wakes up, she immediately looks to the light and if it's lit up, she yells "THE LIGHT IS GREEN! I'M AWAKE!" - and she waits in bed until one of us gets her. She doesn't get up out of the bed on her own - this makes it much safer, easier and better for us!!! Highly recommend!

# 2 - Potty Trained: 

We are now about 2 months POTTY TRAINED!! I'm so proud and will say nothing more then this - DON'T RUSH IT. We literally introduced Layla to the potty last summer. After realizing she clearly wasn't ready, we stopped. It took until this summer to see that she was in fact physically ready to learn to use the potty. We are now accident free for at least 8 weeks! Our biggest hurdle is poop. She is still wearing a pull-up at nap time and bedtime. She seems to be waiting to poop until these times. Annoying but true -- she has pooped on the potty quite a few times but it's not consistent. I'm okay with this -- I know she'll poop when she's ready ;) Overall, I'm really proud. My biggest suggestion? USE NUTELLA! haha - seriously, that was Layla's little treat for each successful potty trip. A little spoonful of nutella goes a long way!!

... so that's it. Fall is fast approaching. My 31st birthday is next week. The Jewish holidays are fast approaching and generally speaking, all good things. Lots of love and light to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment