My little family!

My little family!

Monday, July 25, 2011

7 weeks.

7 weeks!!

Another week gone by in the blink of an eye.

We had a great week (except the weekend was a little bumpy...).

Our week included lots of errands, lots of cuddles, visiting Mom-Mom's work and more!!

On to the big things from this week...

I decided to try the sling I got free in the mail from a website doing a promotion. I tried the Baby Bjourn when Layla was about 2 1/2 weeks and she wasn't having it -- I'm going to try it again soon but the baby sling worked well! I couldn't exactly figure out where to her head..?? I am thinking about getting the Moby Wrap or something else - we'll see. 


I decided this past week to start on a bedtime routine and schedule -- I'm reading a book ("Sleeping Through the Night") and it suggests starting at 6 weeks. Obviously she is very young and a true schedule will be hard to achieve, but I thought I'd give it a shot! We had amazing success!! I feed her around 7 PM  -- keep her awake (she LOVES the bouncy seat we borrowed from my sister in law and she doesn't fall asleep in it so this is a great place for her to relax...). Around 8:15, I feed her again in the glider (a bedtime snack, if you will..haha), sing her a lullaby (usually "Lullaby" by Billy Joel or "You are my Sunshine"), put her in her sleep sack (we gave up on the swaddle because she loves to have her hands free) and put her in the Pack N Play (AWAKE.. apparently it's key to have them fall asleep on their own rather then rock her to sleep). I try to have her in the Pack N Play by 8:30 - and it's working! She is usually sound asleep by 8:45/9:00...it's great and I hope it sticks!!

I also am introducing the crib to her - she had her first nap in it and did great!! I will try a nap a day in there for a while and after Florida, I will try to have her sleep in there. We used the video monitor and it was awesome to be able to see and hear her. 

On Saturday, Layla & I got dressed and went to dinner with Rachel & Shari (and Shari's dear friend Audrey) -- as soon as we got to the restaurant, Layla woke up and became fussy (very uncharacteristic..) -- within minutes she was crying and soon after she was screaming. I took her out of the car seat, walked around the restaurant, tried the pacifier - nothing worked. I decided to pack up and leave dinner (despite REALLY wanting some quality time with the girls...) - Layla screamed the first 20 minutes of the car ride (also really strange - she loves the car). I ended up going the wrong way on the highway and my night out became a disaster. We got home, I quickly ate dinner, fed Layla and put her to bed.. by 10 PM I realized the reason Layla was crying.

...her first cold. 



AWFUL! Congestion, coughing and clearly not feeling well... she was so tired but her congestion was so bad, she kept waking up because she couldn't breathe! I pulled her into bed and we had one painful night of sleep. Yesterday was a lot of cuddles, sneezing, coughing and a little bit of napping. Josh is really good at sucking out the boogies with the bulb. I feel SO bad for Layla.. I called the doctor yesterday and they suggested I go to the emergency room (really...!??!) - after talking it over with Josh, my mom and sister (a pediatric nurse practitioner), we decided the ER was a little extreme and we'd see how she does. She seemed to get better throughout the day and the congestion returned again last night. A long bedtime routine but she fell asleep around 10 and slept all night (in her pink Fisher Price sleeper so her head was inclined a little) -- OY! 

Today, I spoke to the doctor again who suggested saline drops, etc.. she is eating, has no fever and is overall okay. 

I, on the other hand, HATE to see her sick and I've cried more then she has (haha).

I want to thank my best friend, Rachel.. Saturday, she surprised me and came over later that night knowing I was upset about leaving dinner. Sometimes we need our best friend to tell us it's going to be okay and we're doing a good job. Sometimes, we just need a shoulder to cry on. Thank you Ray - I LOVE YOU <3

So that's that.

I'm down 28.2 pounds - 24.4 more to go!! 

2 more weeks until our first trip to Florida.

5 more weeks of maternity leave. (I wish I didn't have to go back.. I'm terrified to return to work and leave her!)

Friday is Josh's 29th birthday - we're so very excited to celebrate our favorite man!! Layla is going to my sister's house for a play date with Abbey & Max while Josh and I go to dinner... it will officially be the longest we are away from her. We're going to Butcher & Singer and I'm so excited to have some "adult time" - haha :) 

.... of course this blog is all over the place but I thank you for all reading along. It's been an amazing, scary, unbelievable and unforgettable 7 weeks and I can't wait to see what else is in store. I will say, no matter what, being a mother is the best thing I've ever done. 





2 comments:

  1. John and I both used and LOVED the Moby Wrap. We've even done the Wii Fit together :)- Kelly Dixon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every week I try to comment and it NEVER works - i tried clicking a new button so let see...

    Anyways. I love you and youre doing everything so perfectly. You're loving her and thats what perfect realy is about. You know how i agree 100% with the sleep thing - Jordyn was a sleeper in her crib since that age, so just go with it, and it will work. I love you, you're the best mom. Love, Amy :)

    ReplyDelete