My little family!

My little family!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

2 weeks down, a lifetime to go....

2nd Bath...clean and gorgeous!

As I write this, I'm laying in bed using Josh's laptop and quietly trying to squeeze 10 million things in before my pumpkin wakes up. She's snuggled herself into the perfect sleeping position and I can't help but stare in awe.

It's been a quick and interesting and fabulous and hard and exciting 2 weeks, to say the least.

Layla is changing every single day. Every time I think we're in a routine, she decides to shake things up. Prior to Layla, I was the ULTIMATE planner.. I always knew what was happening and when it was happening. And now, just like that...all my planning is literally thrown out the window and I'm forced to go with the flow. It's a good lesson, I suppose.

Layla is doing incredible. I may be biased but she is the most beautiful newborn I've ever seen.

She is breastfeeding like a champ, eating every 2-3 hours. It still hurts quite a bit but I'm pushing through and plan on nursing her as long as possible. With my sister's help, we put together my breast pump on Sunday. I was able to pump about an ounce and Josh gave her a bottle Sunday night - she did amazing! She literally took the bottle down in about 45 seconds and I had to nurse her afterwards. It was very cool and exciting (and no "nipple confusion" occurred, success!) I plan on pumping enough to freeze a stash and also have bottles ready so Josh can give her one bottle daily.. this allows me some time to sleep and allows them to bond. I just have to figure out how much she needs to in the bottle so gets full.

She is sleeping wonderfully (ish)... basically, nighttime she sleeps well and gets up every 2-3 hours to eat. Sometimes it takes a bit to get her back to sleep but she's getting the hang of it. She's also basically sleeping in the bassinet my sister in law lent me all night long. At first, we had her sleeping in the fisher price sleeper and she hated it which resulted in her sleeping on me all night long. I happen to LOVE having her sleep on me but I don't want it to become a habit. (She still sleeps on me every morning and we nap together everyday..how can I resist??)

We introduced the pacifier to her.. she LOVES it but I don't want it to become an everyday occurrence so I'm only using it when she can't calm down (not very often).

She's pooping and peeing what seems to be every 28 seconds and loves the wipe warmer!

She's still wearing newborn clothes, some of which are giant on her.. It's too cute.

We had her first doctor's appointment last week - she did amazing. I LOVE her pediatrician and the office was so nice. It's a brand new building so everything is nice and clean. She weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces. We go to the doctor again on Friday to make sure she's gaining enough weight.

This morning, Josh noticed her belly button is hanging on by a thread, literally. It's crazy! I'm excited for it to really fall off so we can give her a real bath.

Yesterday was the first day I was allowed to drive -- our first official trip was to visit Josh's work. It was great! She slept the entire time :) Afterwards, the 3 went to Fridays for our first family meal out together. It was so fun! Last week she went to Red Lion diner TWICE and to Las Margaritas once... I was nervous to take her out but the pediatrician assured me that it was okay. She did great.

Sunday was Father's Day - we had a beautiful day together although I feel bad that I didn't get a chance to buy Josh anything - I plan on going this week ;) It was also the day Josh's mom left to go back to Florida.. it was really, really sad. She was a huge help in the first 2 weeks of Layla's life. She helped with everything from house chores to babysitting so Josh & I could sneak out for an hour. It was so incredible to have her here and I don't think I would have survived without her! We can't wait to have Josh's parents visit again in July!!

AND that's about it... this hodge podge of a blog entry is exactly how my life is right now. My heart is so full with love for my darling girl. I'm learning everyday how to be a good mama. Sometimes, when I feel like I'm doing everything wrong and I can't figure it out and I sit in the shower crying -- I remind myself that I'm new at this and Layla will understand.

I promise a real update soon, one that isn't impossible to read and isn't all over the place. I'll leave you with a picture of my sleepyface.

Morning Snooze!

2 comments:

  1. HEY! She is beautiful. I can't figure out who she looks like!? I think I see mostly your hubs, but she is darling!

    Quick note on the paci and bottle and pumping. I don't wanna sound preachy (& apologize if this comes off as so), but be careful. Pumping this early can and will cause you to have an oversupply & oversupply = no bueno. I had one with LG for the first three months on my left breast and it was hard. She would choke with let down. I'd basically have to let her nurse till my breast let down, remove her & then put her back on when the flow had slowed. It can cause gas pains among other things & can be terribly uncomfortable for you. I've been told by numerous LCs that the first three months are so very important to establish a good nursing relationship. They rec not giving any bottle or paci till 12 weeks (LG didn't have either till 3.5 months & to this day won't take a pacifier) do to nipple confusion which often doesn't happen right away. Are you using the Breastflow bottles? Again, I don't want to come off as the know-it-all BFing girl because I definitely don't! lol (& I still cry and call my LC on a weekly basis!) But in the last 7 months I've learned what can and ultimately will happen. Nursing = big, slippery slope & once you start to fall it's just a snowball effect. You're doing amazing, though & she seems to be a champ at it. I'm sure you are going to build a great nursing relationship and keep going for as long as you want!

    I suggest calling an LC or going to a meeting. They are so very informative! & I'm ALWAYS here for a phone call, questions, etc. Even to just chat about our Layla's :) They definitely are dark beauties! xoxo <3

    P.s. sorry this is a book. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cry in the shower too, probably for the first 2-3 months. No matter how much you love that amazing little girl, it all gets overwhelming. I remember just telling my husband I had to use the bathroom and locking myself in there for 20 minutes just to get some peace. But, once the hard times are over (first few months) it starts to get so much fun! Don't ever feel like you're doing everything wrong (although I'm pretty sure all moms think that at one point or another), I am sure you are doing YOUR best for YOUR child. :) People always say you should try to enjoy these moments because babies grow up too fast, and as true as that may be, these moments aren't the best - the best is yet to come!

    ReplyDelete